Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > General Discussion > The Alley

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 08-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Psyco Diver 69

Psyco Diver 69 I need rep points!
Default I managed to get my motor back in

Well the motor is back in, I don't know how but its in. Well first I got my friend to come over and help me, he has no real mechanical skills, but he wants to learn so I got him over. Anyways the old motor came out easy enough but the new one didn't go back in so easily. When we had in lowered the motor was leaning forward and to the drivers side and no matter what we did the damn thing kept going over. The flexplate was resting on the torque converter bung, and I managed to get it off that and turn the torque converter so it wouldn't get caught up. The motor was about a inch or two from the tranny too. But it was still leaning so I got a 2x4 and put it on its end and jacked it up on the front driver sider corner and we tried lowering that way and the damn thing wouldn't go. I said screw it and repositioned the 2x4 and told him to drop the motor down fast, boom goes right into the motor mounts and lines up perfect with the tranny.

After some laughing we couldn't get the tranny tight up against the motor, the bottom was touching but the top wasn't even close enough to use the bolts to tighten in. So after some playing with the jack holding up the tranny the tranny still didn't tighten up, so I get up and push the motor back then another mircale happened, the motor went flush against the tranny. I bolted them up, and then I put the old motor on the engine stand so I can do pull her apart see what went wrong.

When I put the motor in last time it went in so easy, but I also had 2 other people that dropped a couple motors before, this time it was me and some one that didn't know much.
1972 Olds Cutlass S (parts car)
Psyco Diver 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
1Quick88
Supporting Member

1Quick88 I need rep points!

yeah that can be a pain sometimes..thats why mosy of the time i just pull the trans out w/ the motor..not really any more work and it goes in and out alot easier with out having to line up the tranny and keeping the Torque converter in and lining that up right...

just my though

88 Camaro - 400sbc w/ TH350 Trans
1Quick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Ive found that if you pull a motor, and dont move anything(including the car or trans) while the engine is out, they go back to gether easy, if you move anything, forget it, youre gonna have to fight it.
Unread 08-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
Psyco Diver 69

Psyco Diver 69 I need rep points!

well I pulled the old motor and dropped the new one in right afterward, it took about 3 hours to do the swap and thats with unbolting and then bolting the headers, mounts, tranny, converter, swapping the starter, swapping the mounts, and unhooking then rehooking those wires back up. I think everything went well, its just that motor didn't want to set in there right untill I told him to drop it in fast, funny thing is I was still halfway under that car when he did that so I could hold the 2x4 up
1972 Olds Cutlass S (parts car)
Psyco Diver 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
357windsor
Drowning in trans fluid

357windsor I need rep points!

Nothing ever goes back that easy.
357windsor is offline   Reply With Quote