Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > Transmission and Converter Tech

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Closed Thread
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
greeze

greeze I need rep points!
Default Nitrous or power adder converter

Nice to have thee best local converter builder with his own forum, best of Luck Mike!

I would like to hear about some of the facets that go into a power adder converter, we have all heard the "anti ballooning plates" "billet covers" BUT, what are some other UN-advertised necessitates that are required for the ultimate fluid coupler? For instance a converter for 500HP or more of power adder? When are sprag-less converters a good idea? How do converter builders go about deciding on diameter to begin with for these applications? 8-9-10 whats the difference? Whats your experience?
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Ridings Automatics
Sponsor

Ridings Automatics I need rep points!
Default The TH350 That Does!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeze View Post
Nice to have thee best local converter builder with his own forum, best of Luck Mike!

I would like to hear about some of the facets that go into a power adder converter, we have all heard the "anti ballooning plates" "billet covers" BUT, what are some other UN-advertised necessitates that are required for the ultimate fluid coupler? For instance a converter for 500HP or more of power adder? When are sprag-less converters a good idea? How do converter builders go about deciding on diameter to begin with for these applications? 8-9-10 whats the difference? Whats your experience?
Greeze,

Welcome to the fourm!!! You ask a lot of good questions, some i can answer now.

A few Un-advertised things would be: added tig tacs to make sure the fins in the turbine and pump remain stable (beyond furnace braze).

Turbine bracing beyond 1500 hp

Induividual component ballancing, which means maiking sure the turbine,stator,and pump are balanced to 0 independently before they are balanced as a whole.

I'm not completely sold on spragless for 1/4 mile, now 1/8 mile apps are ok (even though my riding lawn mower will run the 1/8th). Spragless is popular, cause it's a cheap insert as compared with a mechanical diode insert. It's also used when there is no other alternative when stator sprags/diodes keep breaking

Core size is always a touchy! ask 10 converter builders and you'll get 10 different answers. For you i will say were going to do a 258mm or 10'' for your app.

Run your CAR, not your MOUTH!!!!
Closed Thread