Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > General Discussion > The Alley

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 08-22-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
DarkoStoj
race for slips?

DarkoStoj I need rep points!
Default Anyone know anybody HONEST that does GOOD paint and body work for older cars?

I got a 68 mustang that I want stripped and painted. I'm curious if anybody knows anyone HONEST that will NOT do shitty work. I've never priced this stuff out either so I'm kind of curious how much something like this will run. Basically I'll strip the car down to the shell and just drop it off somewhere, would like it stripped, have the body work done, and painted.
DarkoStoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Stalker
Conservative lunatic

Stalker I need rep points!

Darko, give me a call. I might know someone that can do it pretty cheap and excellent work. 419-734-2563. And, he's up on the East side, not down by me.
Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

For stripping the paint, your best bet is one of the commercial stripping places that use media blasting, like walnut shell or soda. You dont want some yahoo to sand blast the car, cause it will warp the shit out of the metal, and blow holes in any weak spots. That will just cost you more in the long run. Theres a place in Madison Hts, plus others, look in the book.

As far as paint, the under prep is what is critical, is this a keeper or a money maker, my friend does award winning paint and body, but the quality is reflected in the cost(ie- not cheap) PM me if you are interested.
Unread 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
DarkoStoj
race for slips?

you see I don't know what "not cheap" is, I actually have no idea how much work like this costs. This car is a keeper and I want everything done right on it. I was thinking that all of this would end up costing me ~3kish, does that sound right?
Unread 08-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
BigWheelinBubba

BigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkoStoj
you see I don't know what "not cheap" is, I actually have no idea how much work like this costs. This car is a keeper and I want everything done right on it. I was thinking that all of this would end up costing me ~3kish, does that sound right?
stripping and a full body resto?? You'd be looking at closer to $10k by the time its done "right".
Unread 08-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Crazzy_Al
One man Wrecking Crew

Crazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like me

How soon are you looking to get this done? My body man is AWESOME but not the cheapest guy around. He's known in the paint/automotive community as simply, "Caveman." What kind of shape is the body in? Be hionest and speciifc and I will give him a call. What color is the car now? What color do you want it to be, do you want the glass removed, etc.

Low, Loud, and "Stormtroopered"...and slow.
MPH.cc / Team MPH
Crazzy_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
DarkoStoj
race for slips?

the only rust on the whole car is some rust on the passenger side floorpan that I will repair myself. Other then that the body is all straight, no rust, never been in an accident. I'd like to get this done by December if possible. Its red now, and I'd like to repaint it the darkest black cherry I can find. Basically the car will be stripped except for whats needed to have it rolling on wheels. Once I find a guy to do the work I'll get the car out to a commercial place to get blasted then drop the car off at the painters.
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazzy_Al
How soon are you looking to get this done? My body man is AWESOME but not the cheapest guy around. He's known in the paint/automotive community as simply, "Caveman." What kind of shape is the body in? Be hionest and speciifc and I will give him a call. What color is the car now? What color do you want it to be, do you want the glass removed, etc.
Bob-aka-Caveman does really good work, and would cost less than my buddy, but as stated above, a premium paint job(and the prep work is required for it) that is capable of winning show tropys, is gonna set you back easily 6k plus. Its all in the body prep work.

Driver quality work will be less than that, but you need to be very cautious and specific with the body man. You sure as hell dont want someone using cheap materials and shoddy work that gets hidden by a decent paint job, until a couple years go by and the shit starts to fall off. Require that any person you are considering hiring, gives you references you can contact, look at the work, and ask questions about. Get all quotes in writing, and make sure you are detailed about what you want. It is very easy to get screwed on paint and body work, since you cant see it after its under the paint.
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Crazzy_Al
One man Wrecking Crew

Crazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strtracer
Bob-aka-Caveman does really good work, and would cost less than my buddy, but as stated above, a premium paint job(and the prep work is required for it) that is capable of winning show tropys, is gonna set you back easily 6k plus. Its all in the body prep work.

Driver quality work will be less than that, but you need to be very cautious and specific with the body man. You sure as hell dont want someone using cheap materials and shoddy work that gets hidden by a decent paint job, until a couple years go by and the shit starts to fall off. Require that any person you are considering hiring, gives you references you can contact, look at the work, and ask questions about. Get all quotes in writing, and make sure you are detailed about what you want. It is very easy to get screwed on paint and body work, since you cant see it after its under the paint.
Yeah, Mike has known Bob a while and I have known Bob almost my entire life. He's been friends with my Dad from probably 20+ years. He has fixed all of my smash jobs and done all of my custom work. Anyone who ever saw the finish on my Explorer can vouch for how nice that truck was.

Low, Loud, and "Stormtroopered"...and slow.
MPH.cc / Team MPH
Crazzy_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #10
DarkoStoj
race for slips?

Damn I really don't want to get screwed but it looks like a good job is going to cost a lot more then I'd like to shell out. I hate the fact that I can't do this myself since I'm moving back to school in 2 days. I figure if I could just pay someone to do the paint and body work I could have the painted shell in my garage during my month off for xmas break and assemble it during that time I have off so I could have the car ready for the spring.
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
Casper302
Cruising graph

Casper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like me

Try "The Kandy Shop" In garden city, top notch work! Pretty good on price's. Call Chad at (734) 421-0531. Best around.