Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > Technical Articles and "How To's"

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Fryguy302
SPOOLED UP!
Administrator

Fryguy302 I need rep points!
Default Yates C3 Head Information

I've decided to pick up some Yates heads for my turbo car, since they seem to be available all over the place due to the race teams selling off old NASCAR and Cup car stuff. This used stuff seems to be a fairy reasonable way to make huge power. It's not cheap by the time you get it all together, but it is inexpensive for the amount of power you can make.

I've searched all over and didn't find a good list of the different stuff out there, so I figured I'd make a post and update it as I find more information. I'll try to update any time I get new info. If anyone has anything to add, please post up or PM me what you know about the different ones available out there.

The casting numbers on Yates C3 heads are most often E3ZM 6049 C3. For some reason, they used this same number for 30 years, even while changing the castings quite a bit. Some of the early C302 heads have that same number on them, so make sure you figure out what you're buying.

The latest standard C3 castings I've found are dated 2002. This doesn't include the C3H (High Port - Raised Intake Ports) or D3 versions. The 2002 castings I've found use one-piece rocker stands and have Beryllium copper valve seats which are "figure eight" style, meaning the intake and exhaust seats are one piece. This is desirable because it adds strength and durability to the thin area between the valves which is helpful for extreme uses. The port design is said to be better than the previous version.

The 1999-2000 C3 castings are said to be identical to each other, and sometimes pairs of heads will have one of each. These heads also use one-piece rocker stands, but they don't seem to have the "figure eight" valve seats.

You can tell the 99 and newer casting by looking at the head bolt holes under the rocker area. New heads the bolt hole is a complete circle around the Bolt head and the older ones this area is open around(or the sides) of the bolt heads. (this info from twinturbojunk on the bullet)

The C3 castings from the mid 90s seem to always use separate rocker stands, although many race teams have welded them all together for strength. These heads don't use the "figure eight" valve seats either. The ports are still said to work well, but not as well as the later versions.

The very early C3 heads have canted valves and use Cleveland rockers. They used the same M-6049-C3 part number as the C302B heads and were based on the C302B. Dan Jones' post below states that the cant angle of the valves were removed to allow for smaller chambers. The A head , the Cleveland, C302 & C302B head is canted..& some others.. If you have a 6049 C3 <ending part number and it is truely canted then it is a very early head... Ford ended the cant on the C3 in 1991 but some C302's had the C3 part number this is a confusing subject and has been for years.. Normally the C3 will not fit onto a cleveland bc of the pistons for the canted valve , althought the C302 will. (This info from Jason Eaves on the www.yellowbullet.com)

Most of this old cup car stuff seems to come with titanium valves and Jesel rockers. Chamber size seems to range from 50cc-39cc on these heads. The C3L and C3H Yates heads are said to come with 67cc chambers.

The C3H “High-Port” is similar to the standard C3 casting but has raised intake runners with a straight in intake bolt pattern (bolt holes are perpendicular to the head). The SC1 version of the head was said to be different from the earlier version of the high ports. The D3 is the newest NASCAR head and uses a canted intake valve. It has smaller ports but works very well and can easily exceed 400cfm. The D3 is the best Yates casting currently available.
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Fryguy302
SPOOLED UP!
Administrator

Most of the info I have now concerns only Yates C3 heads from the mid 90s and newer. Here's some info on the older stuff (A3/B351/C302/D302 SVO High Port Canted Valve Aluminum Heads) taken from a post by Dan Jones on the Pantera Forum. The link is here:

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums...2/m/4560012355
Unread 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Fryguy302
SPOOLED UP!
Administrator

Default Intake Manifolds

Most of the intake manifolds floating around on the used market are for 9.2 deck engines. That's because of the 9.2 deck NASCAR limit. Because I'm using EFI, I have to get whatever intake I buy converted for EFI use.

While searching the usual places, I found many used intakes for sale for the 9.2 deck block and Yates heads. One thing I found that was kinda funny was this brand new Edelbrock intake. It was designed for NASCAR Super truck and Busch Grand National classes. Check out the price, I laughed out loud when I saw it:

http://store.edelbrock.com/ford351wv...uckseries.aspx

Yep, $156 I didn't even know you could buy ANY intake that cheap anymore. I'm sure I'll end up with a lot in it by the time it's converted to EFI and ported, but it's kinda funny that you can start with a $156 intake for a 1500+HP combination.

I ordered it last week, I'll post up if it shows up or if it was a typo or something.
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
daveg

daveg I need rep points!

You should buy a couple of those intakes. It says while supplies last. You could make a killing selling them off once the stock is depleted
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
357windsor
Drowning in trans fluid

357windsor I need rep points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
You should buy a couple of those intakes. It says while supplies last. You could make a killing selling them off once the stock is depleted
I'm tempted to do that and just store it away!
357windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Fryguy302
SPOOLED UP!
Administrator

Default Intake

Yep, no joke. $156.
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
oharaautomotive

oharaautomotive I need rep points!

Cool info on here. These C3 heads are a bargin right now and can make some good power no matter what you do (bosted, nitrous, n/a).

I have been told by some of the top engine builders cfm is not everything, and these heads make power vs the CFM #'s.
oharaautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
Fryguy302
SPOOLED UP!
Administrator

Default Update

Since this ancient thread is getting some views based on google searches for Yates heads, I should post an update on how that motor eventually ran.

We ran it in a Fox Mustang from 2011-2013, then again in 2015. The motor ended up making an honest 2000hp with a billet 98mm turbo, putting the all steel and real glass (3050#) mustang in the mid 4s in the 1/8th.

It also held the gaskets extremely well for a small block at that power level. For an engine that was as cheap as it was, it's performance was incredible in my opinion. I sold the motor cheap, like 12k, and it went to another grudge racer down south who was also very successful with it.

These old Yates heads are no joke. It can be a bitch to track everything down, due to proprietary parts like weird lash caps and stuff, but it's definitely an affordable way to go fast.