Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > The Bodyshop

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 01-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
ttt123
I cant spel

ttt123 I need rep points!
Default my skills cutting up my 911 and making wide body

So I bought a 1999 Porsche 911 about two years ago. I have posted a build thread that details every aspect of the build on a Porsche forum but just came across this wed site and I'm down on woodward in the summer so thought I'd share a few quick pics of the build being that this is a Michigan site and I might run into to some from here on woodward.

I am a self taught back yard mechanic who just loves wrenching on my toys when I have time. I have owned Camaros, mustangs, supras, corvettes a couple porsches and a big hand full of other fun cars. about 4 years ago I bought a boxster and since then... I'm hooked. funnest cars in the world to drive.

My current Porsche is a 1999 911 Carrera. I purchased it from Georgia and had it shipped up here to lapeer. I drove it for the first summer and that following winter I ripped it apart, cust it up and MADE my own steel wide body and body kit for it. Things I did in short.. very short is I made my own molds and parts for side skirts, roof scoop, rear bumper and steel flares. I redid the entire suspension with performance stuff, built my own exhaust system which sounds out of this world, redid the interior to match the paint job I did on it in my two car garage and did some go-fast engine mods as well.

The car is amazing to drive, gets more attention then all my past cars combined lol and I'm just really enjoying it. I would post up a link to the build thread but I'm not sure if this site would allow that so I can pm you a link if anyone is interested. It has had over 40k views and my car has had an article written about and I am currently working with someone on another article (more in depth) for the car.

I would love to do this stuff for a living but as a programmer... I'd be scared to jump industries, I say that just to say... wrench on your cars guys, its the best past time you can have lol

Thanks
Brian
Attached Images

ttt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
ttt123
I cant spel

I'll post up a few more.

I currently have the car up on jacks while I do some more mods to it on the drivetrain... making it faster

As a child I remember the wale tail 911's in the movies and thought they must be crazy fast... not so much lol after driving a lot of different cars I will stand by saying not much on the road drives like a Porsche but they are not as fast as you would think unless you build them up or get the turbo versions. but mine does scoot pretty well and with the mods I've done and doing.. I'm hoping to see some high 12's with mine this summer when I take it to lapeer dragway.

Thanks for looking guys.
Brian
Attached Images

Unread 01-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Fryguy302
SPOOLED UP!
Administrator

Fryguy302 I need rep points!

Super cool projects
Unread 01-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
ttt123
I cant spel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post
Super cool projects
Thank you sir

your just down the road from me(lapeer)
Unread 02-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #5
darkhail84

darkhail84 I need rep points!

Wow! You are very talented. You should open up a car shop!
darkhail84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
ttt123
I cant spel

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhail84 View Post
Wow! You are very talented. You should open up a car shop!

thank you. I'd love to start my own body shop specializing in custom stuff and hot rods but to be honest.. I wouldn't know where to start. I have been taking projects on for people over the last few years. currently I'm painting a Porsche 944 for someone in the area. but ya to have my own business doing this... that would be fun

If anyone wants to look at the entire build, you can click on the link to where I did it. It has a lot more detail and information. these pics are really just a very small snapshot of what all was done to that car.

Thanks Brian

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...wide-body.html
Unread 07-18-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
ttt123
I cant spel

These pictures are just yummy lol

I feel like lightening is going to strike every time I get within touching distance to this motor :icon107: lol

Getting closer. So quick question, does anyone know off the top of there head what the total height (bottom of oil pan to top of intake) of the 3.4 Porsche engine is? I measured my boxster couple years ago and it was 26"' I will measure the 911 set up tonight to confirm so no worries if not. Waiting for a few parts to come in and this motor will be done and ready to start the swap.

So far my concern is going to be height of this set up. I can swap out intercoolers which would drop it by 1" but I'd really like to keep the 2" (tall stack) cooler under that charger. It will allow me to get closer to my HP/TQ goals. Fabbing up a sheet metal hump/bump in the rear where the speaker box is doesn't scare me but where the supercharger snout comes toward the rear hood... that's what I'm concerned out. I might need to notch it a little bit. As long as I can re-create the drip edge and close the hood with out it being seen.. I'll be happy. if not.. I'm going to have to think up another option such as shorter oil pan or the shorter intercooler.

Just a heads up, I have just installed a light weight fly wheel (aasco) and performance clutch a couple months ago. Has about 500 miles on it and that will be going up for sell as soon as I stop driving the car and drop the motor. Also the 3.4 motor will be up for sale. Has light weight crank pulley, IPD plenum, and runs great with no issues. Any fair offer... I'd pretty much say "sure, come get it" the exhaust system will be up for sell as well, its not the prettiest but its the best sounding system I've ever heard on a N/A 3.4

Last picture, a friend sent me that picture from facebook(I don't do social media) someone took that of my car at cars and coffee last weekend .. that was cool to see my car pop up online lol so thanks to who ever that was :thumbup:
Attached Images

Unread 01-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #8
Jon2smith

Jon2smith I need rep points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt123 View Post
These pictures are just yummy lol

I feel like lightening is going to strike every time I get within touching distance to this motor :icon107: lol

Getting closer. So quick question, does anyone know off the top of there head what the total height (bottom of oil pan to top of intake) of the 3.4 Porsche engine is? I measured my boxster couple years ago and it was 26"' I will measure the 911 set up tonight to confirm so no worries if not. Waiting for a few parts to come in and this motor will be done and ready to start the swap.

So far my concern is going to be height of this set up. I can swap out intercoolers which would drop it by 1" but I'd really like to keep the 2" (tall stack) cooler under that charger. It will allow me to get closer to my HP/TQ goals. Fabbing up a sheet metal hump/bump in the rear where the soundbars box is doesn't scare me but where the supercharger snout comes toward the rear hood... that's what I'm concerned out. I might need to notch it a little bit. As long as I can re-create the drip edge and close the hood with out it being seen.. I'll be happy. if not.. I'm going to have to think up another option such as shorter oil pan or the shorter intercooler.

Just a heads up, I have just installed a light weight fly wheel (aasco) and performance clutch a couple months ago. Has about 500 miles on it and that will be going up for sell as soon as I stop driving the car and drop the motor. Also the 3.4 motor will be up for sale. Has light weight crank pulley, IPD plenum, and runs great with no issues. Any fair offer... I'd pretty much say "sure, come get it" the exhaust system will be up for sell as well, its not the prettiest but its the best sounding system I've ever heard on a N/A 3.4

Last picture, a friend sent me that picture from facebook(I don't do social media) someone took that of my car at cars and coffee last weekend .. that was cool to see my car pop up online lol so thanks to who ever that was :thumbup:
Could you be a person who cherishes music and sound outputs?
Jon2smith is offline   Reply With Quote