Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > Technical Articles and "How To's"

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 10-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
Lisa
This is my title!

Lisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like me
Cool Painting your hood liner!

Someone asked about this, so I figured I'd just post it here. It's obviously pretty easy to do, but people had questions about what kind of paint, etc. So, for the poeple who were interested, here's what I did:

-I took off the hood liner and sprayed 1 entire can of black flexible paint (for fabric and/or plastic) over the entire piece. (because they start to look faded after a while, it helps it stand out more, and helps the lettering go on easier.)
*You do not want to use regular automotive paint or it could possibly flake off! Do not use high temp paint because it doesn't get warm enough for it and it could also cause flaking.*
-For the COBRA lettering I bought an ounce of enamel in red at Automotive Color Supply (I wanted it to match a few other things) and carefully brushed it on. Don't get scared off when you apply the first few coats because most likely it will start out uneven, but it will look better with each coat. Just be patient when applying the paint.
-It could take anywhere between 5-10 coats to get a nice matte to semi gloss finish, 10+ coats if you want a high gloss finish..depending on your liner.

I have done this to several of my cars and receive compliments on it all the time...no flaking, no problems, and it still looked good years later!
Attached Images

Unread 11-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Fordgazm

Fordgazm I need rep points!

Looks cool .
Unread 11-02-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
Lisa
This is my title!

Lisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like meLisa people like me

Thanks!

I just did the one on the GT...I'll have to get some pictures. Only thing is Ford indents the horse weird, imo.