Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > The Shop

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 08-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
1Quick88
Supporting Member

1Quick88 I need rep points!
Default need some opinions

alright so here is the deal. this winter im gonna dump about 1500 dollars into the motor and drivetrain of my car...im not really sure what cam is in my car but its relatively mild. so im thinking of stepping up the cam a bit..throw some better pistons in it (i have the hypercrap right now so id go to forged) and bump up the compression to around 11:00 to 1 or so..and maybe throwing some happy juice on it.. i dont wanna go crazy with it but would like to hit low 12's. one of the things im not sure about is i was told that the heads that i currently have wouldnt really do to well with that. I have the World Products S/R Torquer's. id also through a Stall in the car depending on which cam i chose.

anyone else think i should go with a diferent setup? or opinions on what would be a good idea? (nd no im not buying a mustang.. )

thanks!

88 Camaro - 400sbc w/ TH350 Trans
1Quick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Well, I dont see any problem with those heads, they flow quite well,(better than the double camel hump vette heads that everyone seems to love so much), have the 202/160 valves, and screw in studs vs press in, so you can add cam and not worry about pullin a stud. Youre at mid to low 13s now, on a crap day, and a bad carb, so youre gonna get your high 12's just with better air and tuning. N2O and a good tune will put you in the low 12s high 11's without a problem. Forged pistons are a good idea, but with steel heads, I would be careful with the compression ration. 11:1 is gonna require at least mixing race gas with premium, 10:1 will work on 93-94 octane, and since gas is gonna stay above 2.30 a gallon, and race gas is around 4.00. I would go with 10.1 forged, a slightly bigger cam, a little bigger stall, and work on the suspension so the car hooks good. No sense making power if you cant hook it up. Drivability becomes a big issue with big cams and lots of compression, yes you can still drive them, but they are quite tempramental. Remember with the stall on the converter too, that if you go loose( above 3200) youre gonna have to add gear to keep the converter happy while just cruising. My choices, considering the size of your motor, would be for something between 270-280 advertised, and mid .500 on lift, 10 to 1 forged, 2400-2800 on the converter, and an adjustable NOS kit, traction modifications to the rear suspension, and adjustable struts up front. You can do all of that for less than 2K with some shopping
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
1Quick88
Supporting Member

sounds like a plan to me..only thing that has me wondering wit hthe nitrous is my bottom end..as of right now i just have a stock crank and shot peened rods..nothing special? so with that and forged pistons, what shot can i run pretty safely?? 100 shot?? when i start gettin ready to buy stuff..probably the next month or so i'll come over or something and hopefully we can go into more in detail about specific products and make an ordering list..

Unread 08-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

I sprayed 225 on my olds with cast crank, factory rods, and forged pistons, and a chevy bottom end is stronger. Sprayed the 302 with 150 shot for 2 summers, all stock 5.0 and never had a problem. Your motor will laugh at 100, could probably go 150-200 on occasion, its all in the tune up. more nitrous, less timing, safe as can be.

And Id love to help you spend your money, lol
Unread 08-18-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
1Quick88
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strtracer
I sprayed 225 on my olds with cast crank, factory rods, and forged pistons, and a chevy bottom end is stronger. Sprayed the 302 with 150 shot for 2 summers, all stock 5.0 and never had a problem. Your motor will laugh at 100, could probably go 150-200 on occasion, its all in the tune up. more nitrous, less timing, safe as can be.

And Id love to help you spend your money, lol

yeah its always fun spending other peoples money...