View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Swifster
Who, ME?

Swifster I need rep points!

In no certain order, you will need to redo the following;

1) Drain the gas tank, and while the tank is down, check the sending unit to make sure it works as well. Check the engine frame to make sure the fuel lines are not rotted thru.
2) Rebuild the carb. You very likely have had small critters living in it and any rubber gaskets, seals and pumps will need to be replaced.
3) A new fuel pump (the diaphram will be junk)
4) New plugs, wires, cap, rotor AND POINTS
5) New fuel filter
6) New brakes all the way around. This includes the rubber hoses, wheel cylinders and possibly the master cylinder. Check all the brake lines for rust problems.
7) Before starting this car, pull the plugs and spray the cylinders with WD-40. try turning the engine over by hand to make sure it will spin freely.
8) Change the oil and filter.
9) Change the battery
10) Change the belts
11) Change the tires (most likely dry rotted)
12) Change trans fluid and filter
13) Change rear end fluid
14) Check to timing and verify the vacuum advance still works.
15) Change the oil again
16) Change the trans fluid again
17) Check to power steering for leaks and operation
18) Check the charging system to make sure it's charging
19) Check the front end for loose tie rods and ball joints.
20) When doing the brakes, replace the front wheel bearings. Make sure the drums are good and buy the hardware kits too
21) Check your coil to make sure it's good (ohm meter)
22) Check the shocks and replace as necessary in pairs
23) Check the old tires for abnormal wear. This will help guide you in looking for front end problems.
24) When starting the engine, do not rev the engine over 2000 RPM's. If this car wasn't abused, it will most like have a ridge in the cylinders. I doubt this engine saw many 5000 rpm outbursts. Run the engine hard and you may break/crack the rings.
25) Flush the cooling system and hope the radiator holds. Watch the water temp as the thermostat could get stuck closed from age.
26) Pray
27) Have a gold card...

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 Garbage I know I talk soo much shit about how sweet it is going to be...but I know it will never really be done.

Last edited by Swifster; 03-18-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Swifster is offline   Reply With Quote